4 to 6 servings
Matzo Ball soup is a soup that soothes your body, mind, and soul. Studies show that chicken broth contains substances that have beneficial medical benefits including anti-inflammatory mechanisms that help symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections.
The vegetables that I add to my soup are filled with Vitamins A, K, C, along with other antioxidants and minerals that provide a healthy amount of fats. It helps build a healthy immune system to fight off viruses and actually helps your body recover from illness more quickly.
The reason why chicken soup soothes the body is that chicken is high in tryptophan which produces serotonin and actually changes your mood and will give you a feeling of comfort. Yes, you can call chicken soup TRUE COMFORT FOOD!
I make chicken stock once a week and always have it in my refrigerator or freezer. Here is a recipe for my favorite comfort soup, Matzo Ball, with chopped chicken and orzo pasta! Matzo balls are a carbohydrate that will give you energy. Matzo balls are traditionally made with Schmaltz which is rendered chicken or goose fat. I don’t use Schmaltz, I opted for a healthier ball, I use extra virgin olive oil, and make the balls smaller instead of the ginormous ball that overpower and take over the bowl.
SOME HELPFUL HINTS
Make the stock the day before, cool it then store it in the refrigerator. The fat will rise to the top and congeal. Skim off the fat before you heat the soup.
- DO NOT OVERMIX THE MATZO, EGGS, AND OIL
- PLACE THE MIXTURE INTO THE FREEZER FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE ROLLING INTO BALLS
- FILL A SMALL BOWL OF WATER YOU CAN DIP YOUR HANDS INTO BEFORE YOU ROLL THEM INTO GOLF SIZE BALLS. MOIST HANDS WILL HELP FORM SMOOTH ROUNDER BALLS
- I USE A BOXED ORGANIC CHICKEN BROTH TO BOIL MY MATZAH BALLS IN INSTEAD OF WATER TO GIVE THEM MORE FLAVOR.
- I BOIL THE MATZAH BALLS SEPERATELY IN THE BOXED CHICKEN BROTH BECAUSE BOILING THEM IN THE HOMEMADE STOCK ABSORBS TOO MUCH OF THE STOCK
- I COOK THE ORZO PASTA SEPERATELY ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS ON THE PACKAGE. RINSE THE PASTA AND SET ASIDE UNTIL READY TO SERVE THE SOUP!
- COOK THE MATZAH BALLS FOR 40 MINUTES IN GENTLY BOILING BOXED CHICKEN BROTH AND DO NOT LIFT THE LID EVEN IF YOU ARE TEMPTED. IF YOU DO THE MATZAH BALLS WILL BE HARD IN THE MIDDLE AND WON’T EXPAND. YOU WANT THE BALLS TO BE LIGHT AND FLUFFY! NO PEEKING:)
- SUBSTITUTE THE VEGETABLE OIL WITH EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- LEFTOVER CHICKEN MEAT MAKE GREAT SANDWICHES. YOU CAN ALSO MAKE CHICKEN SALAD!
ROASTED CHICKEN STOCK
1 4-5 pound roasted chicken
2 yellow onions peeled
6 ribs of celery
1 bunch of Italian parsley
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of Cumin
1 tablespoon of Corriander
1 Bay leaf
3 quarts of water
8 black peppercorns
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of chopped chives or Italian parsley mix into the Matzo Ball mixture (optional)
COOK THE ORZO SEPERATELY ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS, STRAIN, RINSE SET ASIDE
Remove the meat from the bones of the roasted chicken. Place meat into a bowl, take out the breast and chop into 1″ pieces cover and set aside. Cover the leftover chicken and store it in the refrigerator.
In a large stockpot combine the chicken bones, onions, scallions, celery, carrots, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, bay leaf
Add 3 quarts of water, peppercorn, and salt
On high heat bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat down to a very gentle boil, cover with a lid slightly open and simmer for 2 hours
Cool for an hour before straining
Pour the soup through a mesh strainer into a large pot to separate the broth from the bones and vegetables; discard the bones and vegetables.
Follow the instruction on the back of the box! SUBSTITUTE THE VEGETABLE OIL WITH EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
Bring the Chicken broth to a boil, lower heat to a gentle boil.
Gently lift the Matzo Balls with a large spoon and place them into the broth, add the orzo pasta and heat trough for five minutes!
INSTAGRAM @cristinacooks https://bit.ly/3cHzCVj
INSTAGRAM @flourish_bodymindsoul https://bit.ly/3pieDQd
FOOD IS MEDICINE FOR YOUR BODY
FOR YOUR BRAIN, HEART & GUT HEALTH!
EAT, AND LIVE “WELL”!
PART OF THE PROFITS FROM FFT GO TO “THE WOMEN’S ALZHEIMERS MOVEMENT”.
VISIT OUR FLOURISH WEBSITE https://bit.ly/38PNOgz